Thursday, August 13, 2009

Irish Soda Bread

Finally!!!!! My bread turned out like bread!!


The yeast I bought (the granules) never froths the way its supposed to, and I haven't managed to get fresh yeast yet.. so here's bread with baking soda and no yeast!
Took this recipe..from Divya's cook book but took smaller quantities..
I took 1 cup of wheat flour, 1/2 tsp each of baking soda and baking powder, a bit less than 1/2 cup buttermilk and some salt..
Mixed and kneaded it, and preheated the oven at 150 C, and baked it for 10 mins, and a dinner roll was ready..And it finally was edible and tasted like bread
Some problems however:
The bread was a bit rubbery/ chewy.. and it smelt funny..
I wonder why is this.. looking for answers / comments..
- cos of using only wheat flour
- cos of the baking soda
- cos of kneading more / less than needed
- is it because the dough was sticky
- should the dough be like for roti?
- should the dough be seived or not
- buttermilk is the one we make from curd.. right?

Will try it with the full measurements over the next few days, and see if it turns well!

-Naina

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention.

    I am glad that your bread came out well.As you know,I am not much of a baker and when it comes to bread baking,I am a total novice.So pardon me,I have no clue how to answer all your questions..:)Sorry!!

    Though I can help you with some of the questions--You have to use a mix of flours ie - All purpose flour & whole wheat flour.
    -knead the dough until just required,do not knead it hard as you would for a chapathi.
    -Buttermilk is made from curd-a diluted version of curd.

    Hope it helps..:)

    ReplyDelete

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape