Finally!!!!! My bread turned out like bread!!
The yeast I bought (the granules) never froths the way its supposed to, and I haven't managed to get fresh yeast yet.. so here's bread with baking soda and no yeast!
Took this recipe..from Divya's cook book but took smaller quantities..
I took 1 cup of wheat flour, 1/2 tsp each of baking soda and baking powder, a bit less than 1/2 cup buttermilk and some salt..
Mixed and kneaded it, and preheated the oven at 150 C, and baked it for 10 mins, and a dinner roll was ready..And it finally was edible and tasted like bread
Some problems however:
The bread was a bit rubbery/ chewy.. and it smelt funny..
I wonder why is this.. looking for answers / comments..
- cos of using only wheat flour
- cos of the baking soda
- cos of kneading more / less than needed
- is it because the dough was sticky
- should the dough be like for roti?
- should the dough be seived or not
- buttermilk is the one we make from curd.. right?
Will try it with the full measurements over the next few days, and see if it turns well!